Tuesday, September 12, 2006

God 'elp us!

Yesterday I didn't know what to write about. Today I thought I did but it has already changed a number of times.

I've alwasy been careful within my blog to not confuse the Law of Attraction with Religion. I didn't think it mattered all that much but over time I guess it does, well, at least to me.

Here in a controversial way are the end results of my thoughts. I hope to find time enough to go into greater detail about how I reached these conclusions at some point in the future.

1. God is good, religion is bad.
2. God = The Universe
3. God as I understand , (I was brought up a Church of England Christian) is the same God for Christians, Jews and Muslims.
4. Church of England Christian = Catholic - The Pope + The Queen of England
5. Christians, Jews and Muslims all agree that Jesus and Mohammed existed, they just differ in their role. i.e. Son of God versus Prophet
6. Christianity, Judaism and Islam are all beautiful religions and well meaning at their core.
7. Radicalism or extremism from any religion is bad.

My own views are that having been brought up in and around the Church, where we would get dressed up and go every Sunday and every truly high day for that matter, is that there is a God. My education was given to me at a Church of England School, where prayers at morning assembly were common. So arguably I have talked to God. Students at that school were taught about other religions; a term (semester) on Judaism, a term on Islam, even some Buddhism amongst others. So I'm aware of what others think of God.

What this leaves me with is simply that, an education and an awareness. My own belief now is that I am much more spiritually aligned than religious. I've made statements that whether you call 'It' "God" or "the energy ball called Dave", there is a higher power. Now with my recent experiences I'm much more aligned with calling God the Universe. The "Ask" part of the secret is simply Prayer, but that's almost another thread on it's own.

To further explain; I do believe in God or the energy ball called Dave, call it what you will but I also believe in the scientific creation of the world. I allow both evolution and divine creation to co-exist within my mind.

(except for the Old Testament part about Adam and Eve, however I believe that the Old Testament is parabolic and storified mix of dance and song and misinterpretation and dreams, but I digress).

For instance, Science says that the world was created by a big bang, I ask who put all the shit in one place that banged together? That's it, that's what lets me believe in a higher power - God, The Universe, Allah, Dave, the higher power, whatever you wish to call it. And whether you are religious or spiritual there will be one.

The problem with religion is in interpretation. Events, people, meanings, intentions all appear to have been misinterpreted for 1000's of years. God is good but interpretation and a desire to control have taken the words in the books, Bible, Torah, Koran out of context. Just look at Catholics - confession has never been about confessing your sins and receiving absolution from your creator. It was a method of crowd control and information gathering used by the Church back in the middle ages when the Church had ultimate power over everything and everyone and the masses could be controled by fear.

So why do Catholics still practice confession? I have no idea, but if it makes them feel good then they should probably continue it.

Going to Church, I am told, is about worship. To me worship is uplifting and invigorating, but to be honest I find the staid old ways of today's Church to be anything but. The dirges that are the hymns and the music are throwbacks to the middle ages again where organ music was about all the town had because all the money was controlled by the Church.

Anyway, it's not fun and the more I think about religion the more I question why it appears irrelevant today. An even bigger question for me is why is my belief in God (and/as the Universe) actually getting stronger while my desire for religion gets weaker?

My wife and I would like to raise our children with God in their life so we are going to seek out a Church that still allows us to carry out ouyr beliefs but in a much more 21st Century way. If you know of any please let us know.

But back to my point, or at least one of them, the writing of this has been very cathartic, but perhaps not so clear. Religion as we know it today is rooted in all that is good, very powerful good, but sadly is being executed upon so poorly. This is what is giving rise to extreme radicalism and the hatred in the world today.

Can't we all just agree that we all share the same God and that if we check in our corresponding books he actually wants us to get on, together, in peace and harmony? No? Shit! OK, how about this little gem, from my wife this morning;

"the extremists are teaching hate in their schools, but we are doing perhaps worse, we are teaching 'nothingness', we're not allowed to say Happy Christmas and God forbid if we mention God in schools...."

What this means to me, is that we world is changing. If we agree that the law of attraction works whether you believe it or not then the extremists may win, because they believe they will. They pray (ask), we know that the Universe/God/Allah/Dave will answer and then all they have to do is receive.

All I can ask for today, in a request and prayer is that no more lives will be lost in God's name, none given as suicide and none taken by murder. If you wish for the same thing, then ask or pray with me.

My heart goes out to all people, of all, God's, beliefs, colours, creeds and countries who have lost anyone in the name of Religion.

9/12.

14 comments:

Yaxlich said...

Yaxlich found this post very enlightening and agrees with a lot of what Richard is saying. He would say something similar on his blog but Richard would only tell him off for being too serious.

Anonymous said...

Richard..I love what you've written here. I recently discovered the law of attraction, and it makes a lot of sense. But I too need to believe in god, and I feel what you have written is so spot on with what I've been wondering about for months.
God is real, god is love, life, the universe...and in my opinion religion is stale, and misinterpreted and separates people... of course there is only one god...why are people fighting about that? it's so sad, and i agree all we can do is pray (ask) for peace and understanding, and acceptance.
Thank you for taking the time to clarify this information. It's been very helpful.
Vicky x

Anonymous said...

Interesting conclusions! I've been wrestling with the same thoughts for a long time. Love the SECRET (movie) concepts and also the Law of Attraction it is based on, but when it starts becoming a "religion", I'm outta there. My big concern is: some friends who interpret the Law of Attraction this way: visualize what you want (good idea in my opinion) and IGNORE what you don't like (bad idea IMHO). The basis of ignorance is IGNORE. Too many people ignore the suffering of others. ACTION is critical, even if it means writing a letter. Oh well, I enjoyed your commentary.

Anonymous said...

Strangely enough, I ended up here in your blog, I am actually trying to research the relationship between the Law of Attraction and Islam. Its amazing cuz i am a Aussie convert to Islam, and i was watching the Secret and almost fell of my chair as practically everything being said in in Quran and Prophets saying (directly or indirectly). Anyways read your page, interesting thoughts. Elixa.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I was born a Muslim and I find my religion beautiful and peaceful. I, too, have been searching for the relationship between the Law of attraction and Islam.

I enjoyed your blog and I am glad to know that people are finding the beauty in all religions. Thank you.

Meanwhile, what caught my eye was the last comment by Aussie convert Elixa. I would like to connect with Elixa and, maybe discuss about what we have learnt so far since we are both looking for the same thing... Please do email me back at lubnamba@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Sidi Ali Al Jamal of Fez said in the beginning of his book "The Meaning of Men" that the inward and the outward are equal. May Allah be pleased with him. My Shaykh Sidi Schaykh Abdalqadir As Sufi puts it the way that the Heart is a magnet, and that when people wonder Why the prohibited always comes to them it is because they keep it in their hearts and do not replace it with the halal. The fuzz about "The Secret" is still superficial, compared to the living knowledge of the realised ones which is in no sence "Mystic" but sound and aplicable. Importand for this world and the next. So look for the company of someone who knows Allah, subhanahu wa ta ala. because he inherited it from the most pure and trustworthy of all sources Sayedina Muhammad may Allah bless him and grant him peace, who got it from Jibril alaihi salam.
The people talking about "the Secret" have only an Idea of how reality (AL HAQQ)is.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you here man... I read the criticisms "The Secret" received from the mainstream media. Yet, they could not make ends meet... The "Universe" isn't literal to everyone... God fits in for the Big Three religions... and I guess Bhudda could fill that gap too... What ever you believe in, the "Universe" part could be replaced to match your beliefs. If you look into the Holy Quran (I'm sure it's the same with the Holy Bible), the concepts used, such as "Ask and He will give" are there... I can't believe the media these days, such a joke... and like you said radicalism is the ultimate cancer in religion... Thanks for this post man, very helpful... Salam

Rua said...

Very very interesting post, totally agree with you about everything 100%

Secrets4Life said...

After watching the Secret I too had many questions on how God felt about the whole idea of the Law of Attraction and "The Secret". However, I knew it had to be true. For over the years, I had witnessed many instances of manifestation happen in life. Mostly at times when I was in close connection with God, really feeling his power and peace, and at the same time I was praying and thinking deeply about the things I wanted or needed for my life. In these times it never failed that people, things and situations would mysteriously "show up" in my life, and I actually went through several life shifting situations that occurred in this fashion. All of this years before the Secret was ever released or even thought up. So I new it was true, I had just never put it all together and really connected it with the true Power of God and how he was working in my life with this great Law.

The Secret, for the most part is fairly accurate, especially with the application process, but the main thing it fails to detail is the fact that the Law of Attraction is one of Gods incredible creations as opposed to a God itself. The Law of Attraction is very real and God certainly created it, I know this because I studied the Bible and its take on the subject very in-depth upon first watching the Secret.

Today I have learned to master my thoughts and feelings by maintaining that close harmonic relationship with God all while holding on to the visions and dreams that God as promised for all of us. With these practices I have went further and accomplished vastly more in life then I could have ever imagined just a few short years ago. Love, Peace, Happiness, and Abundance now rule over my household, and they can in yours too.

More information on my research and work can be found on my site. God Bless

John Livingston
Secrets of the Bible Here

Riaz said...

Good day Richard!

i liked what you have written in your article. there are many things on which all major religions hv common opinion and these common things can bring peace and harmony to the world. I would suggest that you study Dr. Zakir Naik. he is scholor on comparative religions and you may find "Next Step" to your thoughts...may Allah Put us all on the right path....Aameen...the christians say "Amen"

Fatima Ariadne said...

Hi...
great article. Me too are seeking the law of attraction in Islam. I just read once Jesus in bible teaches "if you believe it then it will come to you"--correct me if I'm wrong.
As a muslim I've read many in Islamic teachings matched with LoA. This is the example :

"Everyone will get anything as he/she has intended" (Hadith)

"Allah said : I follow my servant's prejudice whatever it is (good or bad)" (Hadith Qudsi)

But please, we'll never able to control the universe, the macrocosmos, with The Secret! The life, death, catastrophe, heaven, and hell, are all God's will. Can you delay the death with The Secret, or prevent the judgement day with the Secret? NO.

The Secret, Law of Attraction, is only a little gift God has given to us, only to change our own cosmos. To change universe or the entire universe, hell no. humans are no equal to God. Energy are no equal to God.

durriekhan said...

I have been reading a lot about these things for the past year or so. At first all was clear to me and seemed like so good and real, now all of a sudden I am having doubts as to what this actually is. Now I am confused. I need someone to personally guide me as to what this actually is etc and what it means.

Anonymous said...

The Law of Attraction is designed to convince people that God does not exist. Genie come from the Word Jinn which is a demon that deceives man with great promises. If Satan can convince you that we are all God then we are not praising the real and only God of the Universe. Yeah mix in a few truths with a bunch of lies and you got them right where you want them. Everything comes from God if, when, and how he wants you to have it. Don't fall for it Praise God and follow him and he will bless you and lead you down the right path.

Daughter of Yasin said...

Hello...
I was kept amazed by your interesting commentary on God, Law of Attraction and Religion. I am a Muslim in a small country in southeast Asia. Personally, in this chaotic world that we live in right now, i didn't expect to know anyone who didn't hate Muslims as Muslims are labeled as terrorist. I do agree with you, when you wrote that radicalism or extremism from any religion is bad. It is true...Because of some extremists who expressed themselves the wrong way, Muslims all over the world have to suffer.
However, i quite disagree with your statement saying that religion is bad. This is based on my personal experience. Before this I didn't practice my religion well. I skipped prayers, I didn't wear hijab and other things that Islam forbid. Last year, i received His blessing and started to change. I studied Islam and realized how I have wasted my life. before realizing the beauty of my own religion, I cannot lead a peaceful life, I tend to be easily distracted and moody. After I carry out the Islamic way of life, I realized that I am calmer, happier and more productive than before. When we think religion is bad, automatically it means we reject our religion from our life.

So, I do believe that Law of Attraction is closely related to God and religion because God and religion cannot be separated. From God, we have religion and from practicing the religion, we will receive his blessings..

this is just an opinion...
=)