Friday, September 22, 2006

My meme Book Report

It looks like that third party writing, world simplifier Yaxlich has tagged me with writing a book report. To be honest I thought I was done with homework once I'd reached adulthood but seeing as how every day I convince myself I am still just a kid I suppose I had better complete it and hand it in - albeit a little late.

1. One book that changed your life - the hardest question first.
The Celestine Prophecy - I wasn't sure at the time that it had changed my life but it was coincidence that brought it to my attention and the first 2 chapters sent shivers down my spine. I was supposed to find this book and read it. That was over 10 yesr ago and everything that I firmly believe in now, including the scientific creation of the earth, a higher power (my God) and the law of attraction is covered in some way. The parabolic method of story telling may be too much for some but in a way I feel totally connected to it - and now to everything and everyone else too.

2. One book that you've read more than once.
I am such a voracious reader that I always have a pile of books waiting to be read so I rarely get the chance to read a book more than once but I do recall as a kid borrowing my Mum's copy of The Ka of Gifford Hillary - I kind of read it once - just to show off that I could really read....and yes Mum, that quickly :-) but certain parts hooked me, so I really did read it a second time and loved it. I can't remember a whole bunch about it except the title and the premise that Gifford Hillary came too, as a Ka, which is a floating ghost type thing and saw his body, dead. I think he then goes on to solve his own murder - or something like that. I remember at the time it gave me great dreams about out of body experiences.

3. One book that you'd want on a desert island.
I never read the Lord of the Rings books or the Chronicles of Narnia. Either set would be a great escape from swimming, tanning and hunting for food.

4. One book that made you laugh.
As someone who finds humour in almost everything I can think of many books that have made me laugh but the most recent was The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night-Time. A little perverse humour really as the book is written as if by a 12 year old autistic boy, but some of the writing and thought processes made me giggle.

5. One book that made you cry.
Hmm, isn't it the case that when you cry, your eyes fill up and you can't see to read? I cannot recall any at the moment - and will come back to this one once I've checked my bookshelf.

6. One book that you wish you had written.
I wish I had written Rich Dad, Poor Dad. I've mentioned it before in my blog but the book is easy to read and truly encourages a different way for us all to think about our finances. The educational and informative nature of it's writer and the subsequent organization is also generating substantial sums of money for all involved. I'd like that too :-)

7. One book you wish had never been written.
Schindlers Ark - this book is factual and based on a horrendous wrongdoing in our recent history. If the events had never happened, the book would not have needed to be written. To be honest, this answer is more about the events I wish had never taken place rather than the book, but hopefully you'll understand the sentiment.

8. One book that you are reading at the moment.
I am currently reading 2 books. Zero Gravity - a book on internet startups and venture capital and Getting Things Done a book about, well, getting things done actually.....I often have so many things going on at once it would be nice to add some order to my chaos.

9. One book that you've been meaning to read.
Never wrestle with a pig. Another business related book about adding the personal touch to business. I've had it now for a few months and keep putting it second behind new books I buy.

10. Five others that you'd like to do this.
In the spirit of networking I would like to encourage Mike, John, Linda, Prometheus and Richard to keep this going.

1 comment:

Yaxlich said...

Yaxlich thanks Richard for taking the time out to complete the book meme. He was very interested in reading "Never wrestle with a pig" until he saw it was a business book. He was hoping that it was the follow up to "Animal Farm". The Orwell book and not the adult film of the same name although that too might be interesting.