Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Universe

Today I return from vacation - I've enjoyed 10 wonderful days with no work, no thoughts of work and I loved it. Congratulations to my friends Mike and Carolyn who got married over the weekend. We love ya.

So while I've been back at my desk this morning clearing through emails and getting ready to get back to work I received this wonderful email that just puts things into persepctive in the universe. We're all aware of some level of universal scale but this is mainly pictoral and really helped me grasp it.


and poor little pluto is no longer a planet.. Sniffle.



Earth is INVISIBLE? Wow.
















Antares is the 15th brightest star in the sky.

It is 560 light years away.

So in summary, outside of just being really fascinating what does it mean?

Well to be honest, and to quote from the movie The Commitments...

"f***ed if oi know Terry". But my interpretation is that the universe is enormous, and powerful and we are less than mere specs in it, like dust particles, blowing around and collecting on the furniture. Never alone, always as a collection, always interconnected.

3 comments:

Lizza said...

Fascinating perspective, Richard. Makes me marvel at the sheer bigness of it all.

Welcome back!

Prometheus said...

Oi Richard, could ya forward me the mail that had all these pics? Or point me to a URL where Prometheus could find them?

PS: Looks like your linking to Prometheus' blog was a mistake you realized and de-linked it. The link from Prometheus' blog, however, will stay and you still aren't under obligation to re-link up.

Cheerio mate!

Prometheus said...

Oopsie, Prometheus did a boo boo. Though the request for the mail forward stays, he realizes that the reference to the linking was uncalled for. He confused Richard's blog with another one that uses the very same template. Ergo, he apoligizes for the second part of the first comment.