Sunday, August 13, 2006

Real Estate, Foreclosures and Cash Flow


So, it's happened again! To be honest, every day that goes by I am less and less surprised when it does but it gives me a super high feeling each and every time.

Yesterday my wife and I saw a sign for a yard sale and always fancying ourselves as the perfect bargain shoppers we stopped by. Now the yard in question happens to be on the subdivision right next to ours and we walk our dogs past the house daily so it was great to be local. Within just 30 seconds we had spotted 4 beautiful side lamps and a water feature fountain. Now they're ours for just $20. And They look great in our house :-)

Well, we spoke with the owners briefly and they're a nice couple who've been down here in Georgia for several years but feel that now is the time to move back to Ohio, they even told us they were using the lamps just that morning, such was the speed with which they were packing up.

Given that news we decided to go back today (Sunday) to see if there was anything else we might snap up for a bargain. There was, but more importantly they asked us if we wanted to buy their house. This started a discussion about the state of the real estate market in the US in general, touched on the foreclosure stats in Georgia, the rental market nationwide and then branched off into how my wife and I had gotten into real estate investing.

Here's how, and I make no apology for the shameless plugs of the material. It has truly changed our lives and is the whole reason we ever came across the people and materials that turned us onto the law of attraction in the first place. So again, I owe a huge debt of thanks to the authors and friends.

So here goes:
I travel a lot for my day job, so I'm always looking for books to read on the flights. Never fiction, rather non-fiction, business or life education books.

I'm constantlty trying to be the best person I can be for me, my wife and our family and friends. So in January 2005 I found Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. That led me to purchase the No Money Down system by Carelton Sheets.

I was hooked but I couldn't convince my wife, especially as she was all tied up with our upcoming wedding that April. We moved from NJ to GA that July and started looking for a home. I'd convinced my wife that we should try out the Carleton Sheets approach and after some persuasion she watched some of the material and agreed.

I'll cut a long story short except to say that we could have bought our house with NO money down but chose not to. However we did get the right type of mortgage to support our cashflow objectives as suggested by Rich Dad, Poor Dad's Robert Kiyosaki. Check out the Cashflow Quadrant.

I've just realized how long this entry is so I'll finish here and continue this story tomorrow. See you then and enjoy the rest of your weekemd.

Richard


Relevant words :
, , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Richard! How long have you been investing in real estate? I looked for an email contact but couldn't find one. I wanted to invite you to visit BiggerPockets.com Real Estate Investing Community - http://www.biggerpockets.com, a portal for investors like yourself to learn from and network on.

Jump on our forums and let me know what you think. . . Josh (biggerpo)